Wednesday, June 7, 2017
The Duel - The Inventors Awaken L3 May 2016
WALT: Use grammatically correct structures.
- What is the main idea of this article?
To help people.
- Write one sentence to show the use of these grammatical tools:
- brackets (an accident for which he later apologised). √
- hyphen I’m not sure who invented hugs, but whoever did was a genius – almost as clever as Grandpa Sid. √
- ellipses “And let’s not forget noses. I invented those for health and safety reasons ...” √
- Speech marks “Did you invent everything?” √
- Hyperbole and Humour are used to tell this story. Find an example of each and record below;
- Humour: “There are three fundamental rules for inventors,” Grandpa Sid says. √
- Hyperbole: Grandpa Sid looks happier as he remembers. “Lots of things. Sausages,
socks, and singing.” He winks at me. “And let’s not forget noses. I invented
those for health and safety reasons … √